Makita Chainsaw Review
So, you’re looking for Makita Chainsaw right? If that’s correct then you’re in the right place. Whether you have chosen already or just researching we have something for you here. We have put together this Makita chainsaw review to provide with all the info needed to choose the right chainsaw for you. Read on and enjoy!
Makita Chainsaw – What Choices Are Available for You
Ok, so let’s start with an overview of Makita chainsaws, so you can have a clear idea what is available for you to choose from. We divided the products into the following categories: gas powered, electric and cordless chainsaws (please note that the list is not exhaustive).
- DCS34 – 33 cc 14″ Chain Saw
- DCS3416 – 33 cc 16″ Chain Saw
- DCS46018 – 46 cc 18″ Chain Saw
- DCS51018 – 50 cc. 18″ Chain Saw
- DCS51020 – 50 cc 20″ Chain Saw
- DCS640120 – 64 cc. Chain Saw
- DCS642120 – 64 cc. Chain Saw
Makita electric chainsaw:
- 5012B – 11-3/4″ Electric Chain Saw
- UC3530A – 14″ Electric Chain Saw
- UC4030A – 16″ Electric Chain Saw
Makita cordless chainsaw:
- UC120DWD – 12V Cordless Chain Saw Kit
Features & Benefits
Gas chainsaws are the most powerful and cut fastest. Their usage is limited to outdoors due to the fumes they generate, but you can use it them in any weather condition be it rain or snow. These are also the heaviest and of course require refueling. Another drawback is that they’re quite loud and not that easy to start as electric chainsaw.
Below is a quick comparison of Makita gas chainsaws’ main features:
|Model||Engine Size||Engine Speed||Power (kW/BHP)||Fuel Tank||Oil Tank||Net Weight*||Standard Bar|
|DCS34||2.0 cu. in.||12,200 RPM||1.4/1.9||13.3 oz||8.5 oz||10.2 lbs||14″|
|DCS3416||2.0 cu. in.||12,200 RPM||1.4/1.9||13.3 oz||8.5 oz||10.2 lbs||16″|
|DCS46018||2.8 cu. in.||13,500 RPM||2.2/2.9||15.6 oz||9.0 oz||12.1 lbs||18″|
|DCS51018||3.0 cu. in.||13,500 RPM||2.9/3.9||15.6 oz||9.0 oz||12.1 lbs||18″|
|DCS51020||3.0 cu. in.||13,500 RPM||2.9/3.9||15.6 oz||9.0 oz||12.1 lbs||20″|
|DCS640120||3.9 cu. in.||13,500 RPM||3.5/4.7||30.0 oz||13.5 oz||13.6 lbs||20″|
|DCS642120||3.9 cu. in.||13,500 RPM||3.5/4.7||25.4 oz||14.0 oz||13.9 lbs||20″|
* – dry w/o bar & chain
Electric chainsaws can be certainly used indoors and outdoors with the only limitation being the length of the cord which normally has 100 feet. These types cannot be used in wet environment, so working in the rain is not an option here.
With regards to cordless chainsaws these are normally the lightest and least powerful options. This type of a chainsaw shouldn’t be rather considered as a primary saw, but might be useful addition to your toolset though. Typically these are used to cut small branches.
There are some additional features you might want to consider when buying Makita chainsaw such as:
1. For gas chainsaws:
- CARB compliance – these types of chainsaws are emitting toxic fumes and causing pollution, so if they’re CARB-compliant (can be sold in California) it means that they’re releasing much less pollution and thus are safer for you and the environment
- decompression valve (comes with DCS640120) – this will make starting a chainsaw much quicker and easier
2. For electric chainsaws (UC3530A and UC4030A):
- built-in current limiter will help to protect electric motor from burning out by decreasing power to the motor as soon as it’s overburdened
- electric chain brake which stops the chain in seconds after trigger is released will impact your productivity
- tool-free chain adjustment system
What Others Are Saying – Other Reviewers Ratings
Makita electric chainsaws received great ratings with average being 4.5 to 5 out of 5 depending on a model. At the time of writing we actually found only two negative reviews of ouf 60+ reviews, which indicates that more than 95% of the customers are happy with their choice.
Surprisingly even the cordless chainsaw – UC120DWD received an average rating of 4.5.
With regards to gas chainsaws there were around 20+ reviews which are splitted between two groups: very positve and the opposite. We’ve noticed that the latter group complained about starting the saw – we thought you should be aware of that! Also to see DCS64 Makita chainsaw in action see below quick video we found you YouTube:
Below you can find some of the expressed opinions :
“I’ve owned the rest now I own the best.”
“Unlike other reviewers I have not had any problems with starting the saw. I follow the instructions and it fires right up after a few pulls – never more than 6 or 7.”
“Kudos to Amazon, though. If you’re going to get a bad saw, Amazon’s a good retailer to do it with.”
“Overall very pleased with the tool, satisfied with purchase, and would recommend.”
“Bottom Line: I HIGHLY reccommend this saw for anyone who needs a chainsaw for more than a few cuts here and there. Definitely able to handle a decent size workload!”