Makita Circular Saw Review
Whether you’re ready to buy, just researching or considering a purchase of Makita circular saw you’re in the right place. We’re put together this comprehensive review to provide you with the facts, pros & cons, other users feedback and a good place to buy the tool.
Which Makita Circular Saw to Buy – Features and the Pros & Cons
In order to answer this question let’s have a quick look at what models are available to choose from. As you can see and there’s a lot!
Corded circular saws:
- 4200NH – 4-3/8 inch circular saw with 9.1 Amp motor delivering 11,000 RPM; weight: 6.8 lbs
- 5005BA – 5-1/2 inch circular saw with 8.0 Amp motor delivering 8,000 RPM; weight: 6.2 lbs
- SP6000K – 6-1/2 inch plunge circular saw with 12 Amp motor with variable speed from 2,000 to 5,200 RPM with magnesium components
- SP6000K1 – 6-1/2 inch plunge circular saw (same as SP6000K) with additional rail guide
- 5007F – 7-1/4 inch circular saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 5,800 RPM; weight: 11.1 lbs
- 5007MGA/MG – 7-1/4 inch circular saw with 15 Amp 5,800 RPM with LED lights & magnesium components; weight: 10.6 lbs
- 5007NFAK – 7-1/4 inch circular saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 5,800 RPM 11.5 lbs with LED light
- 5007NK – 7-1/4 inch circular saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 5,800 RPM; weight: 11.5 lbs
- 5377MG – 7-1/4 inch hypoid saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 4,500 RPM with magnesium components; weight: 13.2 lbs
- 5740NB – 7-1/4 inch circular saw with 10.5 Amp motor delivering 4,700 RPM; weight: 8.0 lbs
- 5477NB – 7-1/4 inch hypoid saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 4,500 RPM; weight: 14.3 lbs
- 5008MGA – 8-1/4 inch circular saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 5,200 RPM with LED lights and magnesium components; weight: 11.4 lbs
- 5104 – 10-1/4 inch circular saw with 14 Amp motor delivering 3,800 RPM; weight: 20.3 lbs
- 5402NA – 16-5/16 inch circular saw with 15 Amp motor delivering 2,200 RPM; weight: 32.1 lbs
Cordless circular saws:
- SH01W – 3-3/8 inch circular saw kit powered by 12V Lithium-Ion battery
- BSS501 – 5-3/8 inch circular trim saw kit powered by 18V Lithium-Ion battery
- BSS501Z – the same as BSS501 but sold as tool-only (no battery)
- BCS550 – 5-3/8 inch metal cutting saw kit powered by 18V Lithium-Ion battery
- BCS550Z – the same as BCS550Z but sold as tool-only (no battery)
- BSS610 – 6-1/2 inch circular saw kit powered by 18V Lithium-Ion battery
- BSS610Z – the same as BSS610 but sold as tool-only (no battery)
To make a good choice of Makita circular saw you need to take into consideration your needs and think about particular applications as this might have an impact on your decision. Some of the factors to consider are:
- size of the blade
- corded vs cordless
- type of a saw (standard circular vs hypoid)
Size of the blade will affect the cutting capacity of your saw, so if you need to cut through quite thick material then you need to choose larger blade size.
Of course sometimes you’ll need a saw to be adaptable to various situations, so you should check the specs of each model to see what cutting capacity they have at particular angles.
Cordless saws have a distinct advantage being more portable and flexible in the working environment as you are not limited by power chord. They have some disadvantages though. The biggest two are less power then corded saws and they’re slightly heavier due to additional weight of the battery (when compared to corded saw of the same blade size), so if you require prolonged usage of a cordless circular saw take into account.
Also make sure you buy cordless circular saw equipped with Lithium-Ion battery as these have longer life and more power than NiCad batteries.
If you are professional contractor or builder and you will require to do some heavy-duty cutting then consider hypoid saws as these are more durable and powerful than standard circular saws.
There are some additional features you might want to consider when buying Makita circular saw like:
- LED lights – these are highlighting the cutting line, so your cuts are more accurate
- Electric brake – stops the blade as soon as trigger is released; it is an important safety feature as well as productivity enhancer as you don’t have to wait after each cut for a saw to stop
- Dust blower – as the name says this feature helps to remove dust from the cutting line helping with cutting accuracy
- Magnesium parts – saws equipped with magnesium components are lighter and more durable
Consumers’ Feedback & Rating
Average ratings are positive on all Makita circular saws and this is really no surprise. Makita products are good, quality tools. Of course there are some negative ratings as well but these are rather single complaints and we haven’t found a common thread that would suggest there are some major flaws. The biggest complaint we have seen that some of the products are made in China.
Below you can find some of the opinions:
“Pros: Excellent saw, great power
Cons: Not for lefties
The Bottom Line: If you are right handed, this saw is wonderful. If you are a lefty, go elsewhere.”
“light, smooth, quick, & accurate. no complaints whatsoever and a lot of
people tell me that i’m very fussy”
“The saw cuts smoothly and easily — better than others that I’ve owned, and therefore I highly recommend it.”
“For everything that I threw at this saw, it handled it all with ease. Even trickier cuts weren’t a problem, but be aware that you really need at least a couple batteries and I highly recommend a better quality blade.”
“I purchased this saw in addition to the combo kit I already had. It makes plenty of cuts on a single charge. I haven’t encountered any boards it has had anyreal trouble with yet. For the price, I imagIne it is unbeatable.”
Where to Buy
We have found that a great place to buy your Makita circular saw is Amazon. They offer great prices even up to 60% depending on a product. Also as they’re the biggest online store it’s a safe place to buy on the internet and if you’re not happy with the product you can always get in touch with them and they’ll assist you very quickly.