Dewalt Laser Level Review
When you’re looking for a Dewalt Laser Level there are several models you can choose from. If you are undecided then read on – below you will find answers to your questions: what laser levels are available, which one will be the best choice for you, the features, advantages & drawbacks and of course opinions from other users. On the other hand if you’re ready to buy you might want to visit the store by clicking the link below:
Which Dewalt Laser Level is most suitable for you?
Generally Dewalt laser levels are divided into three categories (such categorizing is also present on manufacturer’s website) and the products that fall into these are as follows:
- DW082K – Laser Plumb Bob
- DW084K – Self Leveling Level, Plumb, & Square, 4 Beam Laser
2. Self leveling line laser levels:
- DW087K – Self-Leveling Line Laser (Horizontal and Vertical)
3. Self leveling rotary laser levels:
- DW074KD – Self-Leveling Int/Ext Rotary Laser Kit
- DW079KDT 18V Self-Leveling Int/Ext Rotary Laser Package
- DW079KI 18V Cordless XRP™ Self-Leveling Interior Laser
- DW079KD 18V Cordless XRP™ Self-Leveling Int/Ext Rotary Laser Kit
There are more models available on the market but as Dewalt is constantly upgrading their products some of them will be just older versions of the products above. Nonetheless the list above is not exhaustive.
To choose a proper laser level that will be suited to your specific needs you need to consider several factors such as:
- Type of your project/job to be accomplished (i.e. tiling vs. drop ceiling etc.)
- Jobsite conditions (indoor vs. outdoor)
- Size of the project (DIY vs. professional)
- Type of measurement (horizontal vs. vertical)
Different types of laser levels
Line lasers are normally placed in fixed locations (like center of the room or mounted on a wall) and direct a constant laser beam which forms a red “chalkline” on the projected surface (like wall, ceiling etc.). These are typically cheaper and suitable for DIY projects.
On the contrary, rotary laser levels are equipped with rotated headers that are able to project a laser beam in 360 degree circle. Also you can set it up to cast laser within 2 points of your interest. These are designed for more heavy-duty & professional usage and are also armed with additional features: water proof housing, remote controls, higher range of visibility, special laser enhancement glasses etc.
Check out the below video to see some of Dewalt’s laser instruments & levels in action, so you get better idea of various applications of specific models.
If you’re looking for a simplest Dewalt laser level then probably one of the box levels (DW082K & DW084K) will be enough. DW082K is a laser plumb bob, so it’s only helpful for vertical alignments. For more universal level have a look at DW084K which has ability to project vertical & horizontal lines, square (perfect for tiling) and plumb dots.
Be sure to check out rotary laser level if you’re interested in more professional, heavy duty range. As described above this range includes laser levels that:
- can be used outdoor (DW074KD, DW079KD & DW079KDT)
- have high visibility range up to 600′ (DW073KD)
- have protected heads for increased durability (most of the range)
- have additional features like remote controls, tripods, enhancement glasses etc. (some of them can be bought separately: tripod, glasses)
Pros & Cons and Users Opinions
It is very hard to assess advantages and drawbacks of specific products as these are designed for very specific applications and are not “universal” tools. So customers being aware of that are most likely to buy a product that suit their needs are happy of their purchase.
In this Dewalt’s product range negative opinions are very rare (but also present mostly on older products that already been upgraded) and most of the reviews are very positive. The most rated model (DW087K) received 5 stars in 80% of the reviews. Below you can find some of them:
“Generally there are very few tools by DeWalt that I like, but I absolutely love these lasers.”
“This has fell from 8 feet up many times and keeps going. You will love it once your comfortable with it.”
“Quality product. Would reccommend for anyone in the building trades.”
“I’ve used cheaper ones and they are just as good but I am still happy overall with the product.”
(links on this page are sponsored affiliate links, the owner is not a bonafide user of this product and receives commission for sales made. The info on this site is the webmaster opinion only)