Dewalt Sawzall Review
If you’re considering buying Dewalt Sawzall then you might want to read our review of Dewalt’s reciprocating saws . Here we’ll provide valuable information that may help you to make a proper decision. We’ll discuss here manufacturer’s offer in this product range, the features you should look for and finally thoughts and opinions of other end users. On the other hand if you already decided on the product you want to go for then visit the store by clicking the link below:
Which Dewalt Sawzall You Should Get
Before you make a decision on which Dewalt reciprocating saw you should purchase you should spend some time considering several factors that might affect your choice. Two most important aspects are power and whether you require corded or cordless saw. As these kinds of saws are used mainly for demolition type of jobs having a lot of power and flexibility of movement are definitely an advantage.
The pros of cordless reciprocating saw are obvious – as you are not limited by a power cord you can work almost anywhere – especially advantageous feature for specific job sites that you might have a problem with finding a power source. Of course your moving range is also greatly improved.
The drawbacks of a cordless sawzall is that they are usually less powerful, so for heavy duty tasks when the higher power level is required you need to choose high-voltage model (18V or higher). Also you need to remember to re-charge the batteries, so additional sets of these will come in handy.
Bear in mind that lithium-ion batteries are better as they’re being discharged more slowly and their overall life cycle is longer. Check below video to find out more about advantages of Dewalt lithium-ion batteries.
Below is a short list of cordless Dewalt sawzall:
- DCS380L1 – 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Reciprocating Saw Kit (3.0 Ah)
- DC305K – 36V Cordless Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DC385K – 18V Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DW937K – 14.4V Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DC385B – 18V Cordless Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only)
- DCS385L – 18V Cordless Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw Kit
What about corded saws then? As far as the pros are concerned then the power is the biggest factor here. Dewalt products in this range are equipped with 9 to 13 amp motors providing you enough force for any kind of job. The power is needed to get you the tool able to cut any type of material be it metal, wood, plaster or even masonry and fiberglass.
Below is a short list of cord-free products from this range:
- DW311K – 13.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DW310K – 12.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DW304PK – 10.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw Kit
- DW303MB – 9.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw with Bag
There are some extra functions that you might want to have in your tool. They might not be essential but they will make your life easier when working with the tool:
1. Orbital action – normally reciprocating saw blade is moving back and forth. Orbital action means that blade is moving up and down in addition to its normal movement increasing total speed of your cuts.
2. Variable speed control – this feature lets you adjust the cutting speed to adapt it to the type of material you’re working with.
3. Tool-free blade change system – this is self-explanatory, but it lets you change saw blades quickly without any additional equipment. The feature is great in busy working environment when you need to change blades often & fast.
4. Adjustable shoes – lets you work with surfaces with different angles
End users opinions & final thoughts
As far as customers’ opinions are concerned these obviously vary. We have noticed that most of the opinions are positive – which is quite common for all Dewalt products. Yes, there are of course negative ones, but when checking those the reviewers were expressing their opinions & giving a poor rating even when their complaints have nothing to do with the product itself (like bad experiences with the reseller, complaining on lack of power supply after purchasing cordless sawzall as a tool only – DC385B or complaining about low power when using cordless saw).
One issue that was common for a couple of reviews were negative comments on keyless blade clamp. Like said in our previous reviews make sure you test your product after you buy it and maintain it properly as these factors may have an effect on your experience with a tool. Dewalt’s reciprocating saw reviews showed average rating of 4+ stars and we found that these saws have considerably less negative reviews than other Dewalt products.
Please find below sample of what other consumers were saying.
“This saw will cut almost anything. I have used it for cutting rebar, 2″x4″ studs, PVC and CVPC pipe, small trees and bushes. This was not money spent – it was an investment – in a great all purpose tool that belongs in every man’s power tool collection.”
“This Dewalt saw is an awesome piece of equipment. I should have bought this long ago. What was I thinking?”
“That said, this sawzall is “good enough.” When I replace it, it’s actually going to be with the same model, because I got another one as a present, and it’ssitting in the back of my truck right now with the zip tie still on the cord. It’s one of those things you just deal with, I suppose.”
“Other than the blade release issue, the saw performs well, though battery life is never quite good enough.”
“My advice; go yellow not red, you will be well satisfied.”