Dewalt Router Review
Here we go again with another review, so if you’re looking for a Dewalt Router that you landed in the right place. As usually we’re going to discuss several things: manufacturer’s product range, features of different models, how to choose the best wood router to suit your needs, the goods & the bads and of course opinions of other users.
If you already made a choice which of Dewalt wood routers is the right one for you then you might want to visit the store by clicking the link below:
Dewalt Router – What Options are Available to Choose From
Generally Dewalt offers 5 different wood routers that are sold as different product bundles – as standalone routers, kits, combo & motors only (availability of these bundles depends on a router model). Here’s the general list of Dewalt routers & below we will describe shortly each one:
- DWP611 – 1.25HP
- DW616 – 1-3/4 HP
- DW618 – 2-1/4 HP
- DW621 – 2 HP
- DW625 – 3 HP
Dewalt compact router – DWP611 – is the least powerful product in this range (1.25HP & 7 amp motor). It is sold as a router-only & as a kit with a plunge base (DWP611PK). Its unique feature are LED lights which ensure you have optimal field of vision during the work.
DW616 is a fixed-base router equipped with 1-3/4 HP, 11 amp motor which offers the capacity to rout efficiently through the most challenging hardwoods. You can buy it in different product bundles: as a motor-only (DW616M), a kit (DW616K) and a combo kit (DW616PK) which has additional plunge base, so you can get two tools in one.
DW618 has the widest range of bundles and is the most popular product (especially Dewalt DW618PK – fixed/plunge base combo kit). This range is equipped with soft-start EVS motor that has 2-1/4 HP and 12 amps. Electronic Variable Speed (EVS) is a concept that uses electronic feedback to maintain the cutting performance continuous regardless of the load changes. You can buy it as:
- DW618 – fixed base router
- DW618M – router motor only
- DW618K – fixed base router kit
- DW618D – D-handle router
- DW618PK – fixed/plunge base combo kit
- DW618B3 – fixed/plunge/D-handle combo kit
- DW618B3E – DW618B3 combo kit with additional edge guide
Dewalt DW621 router has built-in dust collection system which proficiently eliminates wood chips and offers improved bit exposure. It is also armed with 2 HP, 10 amp EVS motor.
Dewalt 625 router is the most powerful unit in whole range. 15 amp, 3HP EVS motor is designed for heavy-duty projects and manufacturing work. Integrated Dust Extraction Adapter helps to keep the work site cleaner.
Which Wood Router Is Right For You
Some factors you may need to consider before you decide on the right choice of Dewalt router should include:
1. Motor power which will go with your intended application. High-speed, low-torque wood routers produce very smooth shapes that will require the smallest amount of sanding, however they are not suitable for professional as well as prolonged usage. Although medium routers (from 1 to 2 HP) could possibly cut effectively in hardwoods, it will affect router’s motor by stressing it and it ultimately will shorten its lifespan. More powerful routers will be best for pro work and manufacturing. But bear in mind that for the majority of jobs mid-sized wood routers have sufficient power and then for minor tasks compact routers are going to be a good choice.
2. Type of a router:
- Plunge-base router is used by placing the bottom of the base on the face of the work with the cutting bit elevated over it. After the motor is switched on the cutter is lowered to make the cut. This type is the safest to use.
- When using fixed-based router the cut level is determined before turning on the motor. The base is seated flat on the work surface outside the fringe, so that the cutting bit is not touching the workpiece.These are typically regarded as the best for newbies.
- Combo routers are the most cost-effective option and best way to get all-in-one solution
3. Soft-start EVS motors are more safe and less difficult to work with. When the motor is turned on there is no sudden impact of power as the motor speed is increased gradually, therefore providing you the security of proper grip on the router
Customers’ feedback & final thoughts
As far as other users are concerned these are of course different depending on particular users experience. On average the ratings (for the most rated routers) are between 4 and 5, so it clearly indicates that most of the customers are happy with the purchase. We noticed that some of the negative ones were due to the tool stopped working. This issue raised some concerns about the following:
1. Maintenance – this is very important factor neglected by some of the users especially ones that use tools occasionally. Tools need regular cleaning and sometimes even lubrication.
2. Being able to test the router – expert Pat Spielman said “any two routers of the same brand and model may perform quite differently” and reading user reviews can actually validate this, so make sure you don’t wait with buying the tool you need just before the project. Give yourself some time to test it and see whether it’s working fine.
3. Getting the tool right for the type of usage – as discussed above make sure that the router you buy can handle the tasks you’re about to perform
Below is variety of opinions you can find:
“For the price I would definitely recommend”
“Pros: The tool works fine, it’s well balanced, and feels sturdy in your hand.
Cons: It is difficult to adjust the tool and swap between the two bases. The plastic box is very sturdy, but the small parts tumble around inside. The small wrench that’s supposed to be inside the packaging was missing upon arrival.”
“The only problem I can come up with is that changing the collet and/or bits is a little time-consuming. There’s a wrench and a button to be pushed to stop the chuck from turning. It’s no big deal and seems a practical means, but I guess the toolless blade change on some of my other machines has me spoiled.”
“As far as the occasional motor failure – Dewalt has a standard three year warranty, and Lowes offers an extended warranty of 2 additional years for $29. There, problem solved. If it breaks, I will go back and get another one because I love this router!”